If you have a day to spend out of Rome, that’s great news! Because Rome’s county, called Lazio, is very rich in everything you might like: seaside and lakes, mountains and hills, art and history, culinary experiences…
Here we list just few ides, but we are always exploring and ready to customise a day trip just for your family/party:
- Tuscia is the area near the town of Viterbo, mid way between Rome and Tuscany. It is especially famous for beautiful renaissance villas (Villa Farnese in Caprarola, Villa Lante in Bagnaia, the “Park of Monsters” in Bomarzo) and the hot springs which were popular with the popes themselves in the Middle Ages. In summertime you can cool down at the shore of lake Vico or Bolsena instead.
- Still in the north of Lazio we have the fascinating Via Amerina, an hiking path with ancient tombs of different ages, not far from the roman town of Otricoli (a true hidden gem!)
- On the east side, we recommend Subiaco, where St Benedict founded his order and we still have two of his monasteries. 30′ drive from there we can reach the town of Vicovaro where you can walk inside a Roman Aqueduct!
- Going south we have unexpected cistercian abbeys (Valvisciolo, Casamari and Fossanova), the notorious gardens of Ninfa, the castle of Sermoneta and a little Renaissance treasure, the chapel of Annunziata in Cori. In this area we can also arrange a visit to a local farm and experience the life of the countryside following the seasons. Or, you can spend few hours in an archaeo-lab!
- In the genuine region of Ciociaria, an important geological site, the caves of Falvaterra, gives us the chance to experience an underground aqua-trekking, something really unique for fit adventurous travellers.
For a tour closer to Rome, read these other options just outside the Walls!